Monday, June 21, 2010

It's The Only Way.

It's no secret anymore.

Everyone knows that when the time comes for a second baby, I want the whole thing to be natural. Yes.. Natural. With a midwife and everything. Like, at home in a big tub of warm water. Say what you want.. I've gotten more than one weird look at my thoughts on home birth and midwifery. But truly, I am extremely excited to conquer the pain and all of those things that come with pregnancy and labor. I think that as much as it was nice the first time, in the hospital and all, that it wasn't exactly what I'd pictured. Even though we'd taken all of those prenatal classes to let us know all of what was going to happen when the time came to deliver a baby. Even though I only wanted the doctor, the nurse, and David and I in the room, there were like 10 doctors in training who came in to peek at a birth in process and people walking in and out! Not only that, but I felt like some of the nurses were so unfriendly and uncaring, almost. Like, "You're just another woman in labor.. you'll be out of here in 3 days." Which, if you think about it, I suppose is true, but I think if I'd been a nurse who'd seen that many births and labors, that I'd be more sensitive- after all, that time in a woman's life is really emotional and delicate! I mean, it's HUGE.. becoming a mother and all...

Anyway- after learning a bit about home birth, I was ecstatic to learn that it's super safe, and super successful! Actually, the U.S. has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world because of what they call "unnecessary intervention".

And when people think of home birth, they think of dirty, decrepit houses. And that a midwife is some old lady off the street with a scarf on her head and a dirty rag to catch the baby in. Anyway, I'm not going to try and convince any of you. I'm sure there will still be those people who I tell about my decision who will roll their eyes at me and think, "Granola". But I don't care.

I am determined to do it.


Take the birth of LEO HART at Pacing The Panic Room


Here's a video of one. I totally cried. (Don't worry! There is nothing grizzly or gross you'll see in this particular video. No crotch shots or any nastiness) This video is so beautiful. There is one part during the video where Peter, the dad, cries and kisses his wife, Trish. Like she's working SO hard and she's SO tired (she was in labor for approx. 57 hours) and after all that, baby Leo was born. No complications, totally healthy little boy. I am extremely excited for an experience like this one.

Whenever that happens...

(The song in the video is "Long Haired Child" by Devendra Banhart)

4 comments:

  1. Ah I'm so proud of you Angie! I'm all for natural birth, but I think when I have kids I'll do it in a birthing center. There's one that just opened up in a house in PG called "Feels Like Home Birthing Suites." I plan on giving birth in a hot tub.
    Not only is natural birthing better for the baby and gives a faster recovery for the mother, but it's a lot cheaper! (I really don't want to sound like I care more about money than my babies health---that's just a fringe benefit.)
    Have you thought about Hypnobabies or Hypnobirthing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chonch-
    My older sister does the whole midwife thing and she LOVES it. She does it at a birthing center though, which she highly recommends to anyone doing it "that way". And my sister is even a nurse so you gotta trust that right?
    As far as my opinion - totally granola. ;)
    Bring on the meds for me! lol
    =Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote this whole comment and when I went to publish, it spazzed out. So if you get multiple comments, I'm sorry!!
    As I was saying: You are brave, miss. I feel like however anyone chooses to have their babies (given that it's safe) is their own business, not to be judged by anyone. Isn't it awesome that we can choose?? Love it.
    I am going to school to be a labor and delivery nurse because I want to be that wonderful, helpful, supportive, NICE nurse and NOT the grouchy one. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably since Carolina was like 6 mths old, I've been planning on having the next baby with these people:
    www.betterbirth.com

    They are located in Saratoga Springs, but have a clinic/office in Orem, too. There are lots of good articles and resources on benefits of non-hospital births on their website:

    http://www.betterbirth.com/site/labor-and-delivery

    They have their own birthing suites, or work with Bella Natal Birthing Suites in Orem, or do home births (they even have a portable tub for you and take care of your towels!). I want a tub at Bella lol. They have a price list with different packages that include prenatal visits, L&D, and postpartum care with midwives or apprentices there, in Orem, or at home! And like Janeal said, it is way cheaper than a hospital, too.

    Sorry I just vomited my love for this institution all over your blog...

    ReplyDelete